Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Gifford Pinchot National Forest

I decided to make a solo hike (originally meant to be a backpacking trip) to Gifford Pinchot National Forest in Washington which is about a 3 hour 20 minute drive from Portland.












I was hoping to see mountain goats, marmots, and pikas. The weather was pretty foggy when I started out and looking like it might rain. The weather forecast said a 20% chance of rain. But since my boyfriend was out of town fishing I went anyway because it would be a good growing experience for myself to go alone, plus I really wanted to see some new scenery in the Northwest.


When I headed up another 1,000 feet in elevation to 5,500 feet it was suddenly warm and sunny with green meadows and flowers everywhere. I loved that it was Summer at this elevation and I left Fall 1,000 feet below. I had a great hike until the fog and cold came in and I suddenly wasn't so sure of myself spending the night up there. I know I could do it and I had all my backpacking gear with me but it was only 1pm and I didn't want to spend the whole night up there cold (without a tent) and possibly wet. So I made the call to come back promising myself I would be back in August next year when the weather is more promising!


No comments:

Post a Comment