Tuesday, July 17, 2012

July

Summer finally came to the Northwest this month. Daily temperatures of 80F make me excited to get up in the morning. It's nice not to get rained on for once!


The past couple weeks I have been blueberry and raspberry picking at Sauvie Island (and feeding some berries to this sweet adorable pig names Matilda).

Blueberries and Raspberries

Matilda

Blueberry

And then studying coastal plants while waiting for my boyfriend to fish. I am learning so much about ethnobotany (how people interact with plants). Native Americans survived on these Saskatoon Berries. They reminded me of bluberries but not as sweet.

Saskatoon Berries

Saskatoon Berries


They also boiled and ate these Red Elderberries as well. Note: Do not eat these raw and never eat the stem, leaves, or any other part of the plant. I like to think I could survive out here if I had to because I know more about the plants and their medicinal uses.

Red Elderberry


I am such a nerd. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment